Effective date: October 03, 2018
Last Updated: November 7, 2022
At SMS, we believe that an application that knows you can deliver a great experience while protecting your privacy. We also understand our responsibility to protect your data. We are committed to make our Services better for you, our customer. We want to be transparent about what we do to create a great experience for you. If you have any questions, comments or concerns about this policy please contact us at email@example.com.
Personal Information We Collect
We collect three categories of information:
- Information You Provide.
- Information Automatically Collected.
- Information from Third Parties.
Information you provide
Account Creation. When you create a user account, we may ask to collect personal information like your name, email address, and/or phone number. We may collect payment information for paid plans.
Communications with Us. We may collect your email address, phone number, or mailing address when you request information about our Services, register for our newsletter, request customer or technical support, apply for a job or otherwise communicate with us.
Your Contacts. We may collect information about your contacts or customers from the information you provide to our Services in order to provide Services to you such as sharing information or inviting others to the Services.
Settings and Preferences. Information you choose to save in the Services such as account settings, or as a preferences.
Surveys. We may contact you to participate in surveys. If you decide to participate, you may be asked to provide personal information.
We collect the above information to provide the Services and improve them in order to continue to build a great product for our customers.
Automatic Data Collection. We may collect certain information automatically when you use the Services. This information may include your Internet protocol (IP) address, location information, user settings, cookie identifiers, browser type and version, operating system or device, pages that you visit before using the Services. Information we collect may be associated with your accounts and the devices you use to access your accounts.
Information collected automatically
If you choose to login to our Service through a third-party service such as Google, Apple, or Microsoft, we may collect information about you from these services such as your name, email address and profile picture. We may use this information to help prevent fraud and to provide you with information about our Services.
Aggregated and De-identified Information
How we use your information
Information we collect through Technologies fall into the following general use categories:
- Operationally Necessary. This includes Technologies that allow you access to our Services that are required to identify irregular site behavior, prevent fraudulent activity and improve security or that allow you to use the Services.
- Performance Related. We may use Technologies to assess the performance of our Services, including to help us understand how our users use the Services.
- Functionality Related. We may use Technologies that allow us to offer you enhanced functionality when accessing or using our Services. This may include identifying you when you sign into our Services or keeping track of your specified preferences, interests, or past items viewed.
We use your information to provide you with the Services and to continuously improve them. This means we use your information, for example, to:
- Develop, operate, improve, enhance, deliver, maintain and support our Services.
- Provide access to certain areas, functionalities, and features of our Services.
- Communicate with you about your data, our Services, and policy changes.
- Enable you to share content with others.
- Analyze your usage of our Services so that we can find ways to make your experience better.
- Protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent or illegal activity.
- Undertake research for technological development.
- Enforce our terms and policies.
- Comply with our legal obligations, protect your vital interest, or as may be required for the public good. For example, to assist with an investigation or prosecution of suspected or actual illegal activity.
- Use your information for other purposes you consent to or are disclosed to you when you provide the information.
How your information may be shared
We do not and never have sold consumers’ personal information. We may share your personal information in the following ways:
With Service Providers. These providers perform services on our behalf and include:
- IT and related services
- Communication network providers for our data networks
- Payment processors
- Analytics providers
- Customer service providers
- Vendors to support the provision of the Services
With Your Consent. We may share information with your consent or as directed by you. For example, we may share content you direct us to share.
With Third Parties to Protect Us or Others. We may access, preserve, and disclose any information we store associated with you to external parties if we, in good faith, believe doing so is required or appropriate to: comply with law enforcement or national security requests and legal process, such as a court order or subpoena; protect your, our or others’ rights, property, or safety; enforce our policies or contracts; collect amounts owed to us; or assist with an investigation or prosecution of suspected or actual illegal activity.
In the Event of Merger, Sale, or Other Asset Transfers. We may share some information, such as a list of SMS customers, in connection with a merger, acquisition, financing due diligence, reorganization, bankruptcy, receivership, purchase or sale of assets, or transition of service to another provider.
Third party services
The Services may contain links to other websites and applications. In addition, we may have a presence on third party blogs, forums, and social media pages. We are not responsible for your interactions on these websites and applications, and we encourage you to review their privacy policies.
You have certain choices about personal information stored in our Platform. Where you have consented to the processing of your personal information, you may withdraw that consent at any time and prevent further processing by contacting us as described below. Even if you opt out, we may still collect and use non-personal information regarding your activities on our Services and for other legal purposes as described above.
If you receive an advertising or marketing email from us, you can use the unsubscribe link found at the bottom of the email to opt out of receiving such emails.
Your privacy rights:
In accordance with applicable law, you may have the right to:
- Access Personal Data about you consistent with legal requirements. In addition, you may have the right in some cases to receive or have your electronic Personal Data transferred to another party.
- Request correction of your personal information where it is inaccurate or incomplete. In some cases, we may provide self-service tools that enable you to update personal information stored for your account, or for data we do not control, we may refer you to the controller who is able to make the correction.
- Request deletion of your personal information, subject to certain exceptions prescribed by law. Subject to applicable law, you may request that SMS delete information stored about you that is stored in our systems. However, if your data has been extracted from an external cloud-based service provider (e.g., G Suite, Office 365, Slack, etc.), the data will still be present in the cloud-based service provider’s system. To have this data deleted, contact the cloud-based service provider who hosts the data.
- Request restriction of or object to processing of your personal information, if applicable, where such requests are permitted by law.
If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please log into your account, or contact us as detailed below. We will process such requests without undue delay and in accordance with applicable laws. To protect your privacy, we will take steps to verify your identity before fulfilling your request. We will verify your request by asking you to send it from the email address associated with your account or to provide information necessary to verify your account.
You may be entitled, in accordance with applicable law, to submit a request through an authorized agent. To designate an authorized agent to exercise choices on your behalf, please select an agent registered with the Secretary of State of your state of residence and provide evidence that you have provided such agent with power of attorney or that the agent otherwise has valid written authority to submit requests to exercise rights on your behalf. We do not discriminate based on the exercise of any privacy rights that you might have.
The information we automatically collect about you, such as your usage of our Services like the history information you engage with, will be retained while your account is active, unless otherwise requested by you or required by law.
We retain other information you provide to us, such as your log-in and payment credentials, only as long as necessary to fulfill the purpose(s) for which it was collected, comply with applicable laws, comply with audits, and enforce our Terms of Service.
You agree that all information processed by us may be transferred, processed, and stored anywhere in the world, including but not limited to, the United States or other countries, which may have data protection laws that are different from the laws where you live. We have taken appropriate safeguards to require that your personal information will remain protected and require our third-party service providers and partners to have appropriate safeguards as well.
Security of your information
By using the Services or providing personal information to us, you agree that we may communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy, and administrative issues relating to your use of the Services. If we learn of a security system’s breach, we may attempt to notify you electronically by posting a notice on the Services, by mail or by sending an e-mail to you.
Our services are not directed to children or those under the age of 18 (or other age as required by local law), and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children. While individuals under the age of 13 may utilize our service, you must do so
only with the involvement, consent and supervision of your parent or legal guardian.
If you are located in the European Economic Area or the UK, you have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority if you believe our processing of your personal information violates applicable law.
If you have any questions or if you wish to submit a request to exercise your rights, please contact us at:
Schmitt Measurement Systems, Inc.
2765 NW Nicolai Street
Portland, OR 97210